CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Harold

Harold became a widower in 1989. His wife Edda had been my best friend for 35 years. Before Bill died Harold was our home teacher and as I was at work during the day he always came and did the home teaching while I was gone. Much later... I found out that Harold and Bill had had a discussion about the fact that after Bill died (see previous post) could Harold have his permission to pursue me . Bill's answer was.... "fine but wait until I die." He did wait about 2 months and he asked me to go to the theater and see "Les Miserables", I agreed and then called and backed out. He tried again but he had his daughter, Claire, call and ask if I would go with her and her dad to see Michael Ballam. I had a dental appointment that day for a root canal, I told her it would depend on how I felt when I got home. Needless to say, I was miserable but Harold was undaunted and asked me to dinner and a play, "Forever Plaid" the next weekend. It was a fun evening and then the next weekend we went out to dinner and a movie, "Sleepless in Seattle". The next morning he called me and said, "Hello, this is sleepless in Whittier". He asked me if I slept and I said that I hadn't. From there it was history. We got married in September and we had a good 12+ years. For 10 of those years we had the blessing of working together in the Los Angeles temple. He was a kind, sweet, gentle man and he is missed dearly.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh how romantic! I LOVE that movie (Sleepless in Seattle). The fact that you liked it so much is what made me want to like it and watch it as a 9 year old girl. It's been my favorite ever since.

DavidyAshley Bowen said...

I love hearing stories from my G-ma! I love you Grandma! I cant wait to see you for Christmas!